Enjoy summer’s bounty by selecting different varieties and colors of tomatoes—preferably heirloom—for this tart. During cooking, the tomatoes exude plenty of juice, which will trickle out when you slice into the tart. Use a vegetarian tapenade. Serve this handsome dish with a chilled gazpacho to start and frozen yogurt to conclude.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie crust
- 1 1/2 lb. firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbs. tapenade or pesto
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbs. capers for garnish
Preheat oven to 425F.
Layer piecrust with tomato slices, and sprinkle slices with 2 ounces feta. Beat together eggs and tapenade until well mixed, and stir in mozzarella, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour half of mixture over first tomato layer.
Add a second layer of tomato slices, and top with remaining egg mixture. Sprinkle remaining feta cheese on top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until egg mixture firms and feta browns. Remove from oven, garnish with sprinkles of parsley and capers, slice and serve.
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 135 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 530 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g