- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 15-oz. can chopped or stewed tomatoes
- 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
1. In large pot over medium heat, combine onion, mushrooms and garlic with 1 tablespoon water. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
2. Add zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley and any seasonings from the variations below. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
Stir in spinach. Cook just until spinach wilts, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve over potatoes or grains.
Italian: Add 1 teaspoon each dried basil and dried oregano. Use Italian-style stewed tomatoes.
Cajun: Add 1 teaspoon dried basil and 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce. Use Cajun-style stewed tomatoes.
Mexican: Add 1 teaspoon each dried basil and chili powder. Use Mexican-style stewed tomatoes.
- Calories: 162
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 1005 mg