Tomato-Summer Squash Skewers
The simplest recipes are often the best, especially in summer when produce is at its peak. Here, all it takes is a little olive oil and Italian seasoning to bring out the natural flavors of tomatoes and squash.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 20 multi-colored cherry tomatoes, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 16 1-inch-thick slices yellow summer squash
- 2 Tbs. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Purée 4 cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup oil, and Italian seasoning in blender or small food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high, and brush grates with remaining 1 tsp. oil.
3. Combine squash slices and remaining 16 cherry tomatoes with puréed mixture in shallow baking dish; stir to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Thread 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 squash slices onto eight 10-inch bamboo skewers.
5. Grill skewers 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until squash is tender and tomatoes are bursting slightly. Sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve.
- Calories 82
- Carbohydrate Content 3 g
- Cholesterol Content 1 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 26 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g