Tortellini add a satisfying goodness to this vegetable stew. Youll find them in the frozen foods section of most supermarkets, shelved near ravioli and other frozen pastas. MEAL PLAN: This stew is nicely balanced with a salad of mixed greens with seedless orange sections and a few slivered toasted almonds tossed with a red wine vinaigrette. Serve with breadsticks on the side.
- 16-oz. pkg. frozen tortellini
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10-oz. bag fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped, or 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add tortellini, stirring to prevent sticking, and cook according to package directions until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add garlic, and cook. Stir often, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, oregano and basil. Increase heat to medium, and bring to a simmer. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Drain tortellini well, then stir into tomato mixture along with parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.
- Calories: 198
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 98 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 411 mg