Use the highest-quality whole milk and the freshest eggs you can find to make this creamy, comforting pudding. For a more basic everyday treat, simply omit the dried fruit.
- 6 cups whole milk, preferably organic, divided
- 1/2 cup pearl (not quick-cooking) tapioca
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. Sucanat evaporated cane sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins, plus more for garnish, optional
- 1 cup dried apricots, cut into dried cranberry-size pieces, plus more for garnish, optional
- 1 cup chopped dried apple rings, plus more for garnish, optional
1. Stir together 1 cup milk and pearl tapioca in 6-qt. Dutch oven. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean, and add seeds and scraped pod to tapioca mixture. Let steep 15 minutes.
2. Whisk together eggs and 1 Tbs. sugar in medium bowl.
3. Stir remaining 5 cups milk, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and salt into tapioca mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer 15 to 25 minutes, or until tapioca is transparent and mixture has thickened, stirring often with rubber spatula to prevent sticking.
4. Remove pan from heat. Whisk 1 cup tapioca mixture (using as much liquid as possible) into eggs to temper.
5. Stir egg mixture into tapioca mixture, then return pan to heat, and simmer 2 minutes more, or until pudding thickens and foam on top disappears, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup each dried cranberries, dried apricots, and chopped apple rings, then remove pan from heat. Let cool, stirring occasionally. Transfer pudding to refrigerator to cool completely.
6. Spoon 3/4 cup pudding into each of 8 serving glasses or bowls. Garnish with dried fruit, if using.
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 43 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 130 mg
- Sugar Content: 27 g