This is a great party salad because the hearty greens won’t turn limp or mushy once they’re tossed with the dressing.
- 1 8-oz. loaf French bread, crust removed, bread torn into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped (2 Tbs.)
- 1 large head radicchio, sliced into thin ribbons (5 cups)
- 1 12-oz. bunch Tuscan kale, ribs removed, leaves sliced into thin ribbons (3 cups)
- 2 white Belgian endives, sliced into thin rings (2 cups)
- 4 large dates, pitted and sliced into thin slivers (1/4 cup)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Toss bread with 2 Tbs. oil in large bowl, then transfer to baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden.
2. Place vinegar and shallot in small bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Whisk in remaining 1/3 cup oil.
3. Combine radicchio and kale in large bowl. Add 6 Tbs. dressing, toss well, then gently massage greens to slightly wilt them. Add endives, dates, and croutons, and gently toss to combine. Offer extra vinaigrette at the table.
- Calories: 221
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 147 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g