This cake gets a triple dose of orange flavor from sections, zest, and syrup.
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large oranges, peeled and coarsely chopped, seeds removed
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 whole eggs, plus 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tbs. orange-flower water, optional
To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pine nuts on baking sheet, and toast 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool.
Coat 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Combine flour, zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Pulse oranges and 1/2 cup pine nuts in food processor until chopped.
Cream sugar and butter with electric mixer. Beat in eggs, egg white, and vanilla. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beating between additions until smooth. Beat in orange mixture. Spread in prepared pan and bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
To make Syrup: Bring juice and confectioners’ sugar to a boil in saucepan. Simmer 3 minutes, or until thick. Stir in orange-flower water, if desired.
Poke holes in top of cake with toothpick. Brush with Syrup. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pine nuts. Cool in pan, then unmold.
- Calories: 344
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 51 mg
- Fat Content: 14.5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Sodium Content: 292 mg
- Sugar Content: 26 g