Tropical fruits, with almost all their calories derived from carbohydrates, are a logical starting point for a low-fat dessert. In this recipe, the fruits are sautéed, then doused with dark rum and ignited. When setting aflame, never pour the liquor directly from the bottle into the pan. Always measure out the liquor and transfer it to a small pitcher ahead of time.
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 ripe medium bananas, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 2 large ripe kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 6 to 8 ripe strawberries, sliced (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 to 3 cups frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt
In large skillet, combine apple juice and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until simmering, 4 minutes. Add mango, bananas, kiwi fruits, strawberries and cinnamon and cook, stirring occasionally to coat fruit with juice mixture, 4 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and add rum and liqueur. Return pan to heat and bring to a simmer. Carefully ignite fruit mixture with lighted match. Allow flame to subside and cook 1 minute.
To serve, scoop low-fat frozen yogurt into individual serving bowls and spoon warm fruit over top.
- Calories: 295
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 82 mg