Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
March is peak season for tropical fruits found south of the equator, so there’s no better time for an exotic fruit salad.
1. Bring sugar and 1 Tbs. water to a simmer in large skillet over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook 3 to 5 minutes without stirring, or until sugar turns amber, swirling skillet occasionally to ensure even caramelization.
2. Add margarine, then add pineapple and mango, and cook 2 to 3 minutes until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally. Add orange juice, rum, if using, and nutmeg. Fold in banana slices. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
3. Divide warm fruit mixture among six dessert dishes. Top with scoops of ice cream, and sprinkle with macadamia nuts.
- Calories 216
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 35 mg
- Sugar Content 28 g