Experiment by adjusting the seasonings and substituting or adding sautéed mushrooms, feta cheese or blanched green beans.
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 5 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 green onions, minced (1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 lb. ripe cherry or teardrop tomatoes (yellow, red or a combination)
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of water to boil. When water boils, add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook pasta until al dente, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice and cumin. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Drain pasta; run under cold running water and drain again. Transfer to large serving bowl. Add cucumber, olives, green onions, garlic and tomatoes. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to coat. Serve at room temperature.
- Calories: 261
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 128 mg