Thrifty Italian cooks have developed a subcuisine based on leftovers; and day-old bread in particular has inspired a number of excellent solutions.
- 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 15-oz. can white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, roasted and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. vegetable broth
Preheat oven to broil. Rub bread slices with garlic. Toast bread, turning once, about 4 minutes on each side.
Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil and broth until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
Cut bread into small cubes and put into serving bowl. Add tomatoes, beans, roasted pepper and basil. Pour dressing over salad and toss to mix and coat. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 202
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 145 mg