This recipe calls for steaming the kale in a steamer insert placed over the soup’s brothy base to keep the greens brightly colored and crisp-tender.
- 2 bunches multicolored carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks (4 cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 12-oz. bunches Tuscan kale, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus 6 whole leaves, divided
- 2 Tbs. chopped chives, plus handful whole chives, divided
- 1 15-oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1. Bring carrots, broth, tomatoes with juice, and 2 cups water to a simmer in large stockpot with steamer insert over medium heat.
2. Place kale, whole basil leaves, and whole chives in steamer insert. Set steamer inside stockpot, cover, and steam 5 to 7 minutes, using tongs to stir halfway through. Remove and discard basil and chives. Add kale, beans, and vinegar to soup, and return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in chopped basil and chives just before serving.
- Calories: 128
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 358 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g