To peel mango, hold it with palm of one hand, with seed horizontal to surface of palm. Using sharp knife in other hand, peel skin off one side, starting at stem end. Slice off flesh, down side of seed. Turn over, and repeat process with other side. Cut flesh into squares or wedges, and trim off edges around seed. Cut squares or wedges away from skin, and discard skin and seed.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped celery, including leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, including 2 inches green tops
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To make Two-Bean Salad: Bring water to a boil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, cover pan, reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, combine beans, mango, celery, scallions, cucumber and tomatoes in mixing bowl. Add cooked rice, cover and set aside in refrigerator.
To make Ginger-Lime Dressing: Combine all ingredients in measuring cup or small mixing bowl, and stir well to mix thoroughly.
To serve, toss dressing with rice mixture, and serve with slotted spoon. Cover, and refrigerate any leftover salad.
- Calories: 203
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 54 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g