A tasty, filling family favorite — prepared tomatillo salsa delivers tangy, delicious flavor.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. agave nectar
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 15-oz. can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup medium tomatillo salsa
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Coat 9- x 9-inch baking dish or 10-inch oven-resistant skillet with cooking spray.
To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion has softened. Stir in agave nectar, and cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion has caramelized and begun to brown. Add red bell pepper, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until bell pepper is softened. Stir in remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make Topping: Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk buttermilk, milk, or non-dairy milk with melted butter or margarine in separate bowl. Stir milk mixture into cornmeal mixture. Fold in green onions.Spread Filling in prepared baking dish or skillet. Dollop Topping over Filling, then gently spread Topping to cover Filling completely.
Bake 30 minutes on baking sheet, or until topping is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Per 1-cup serving
- Calories: 193
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 464 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g