This hearty grain-based entrée goes well with steamed greens. Start with a hot minestrone-style soup, and for a perfect finish, serve warm apple tartlets.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked buckwheat groats
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. herb salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 4 oz. crumbled gorgonzola cheese
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté groats and onion over medium-high heat about 7 minutes, or until golden. Add quinoa and mushrooms, and sauté 2 minutes. Add carrots, vegetable stock and seasonings. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking for liquid. Add more stock if too dry. Increase heat to medium, and cook about 5 minutes more.
To serve, stir in apricots and Gorgonzola cheese.
- Calories: 420
- Carbohydrate Content: 57 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 880 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g