Brussels sprouts, bean sprouts, green onions, and cilantro add a boost of alkalizing goodness to this favorite Thai dish to help balance out the acid-forming potential of the noodles.
- 3 Tbs. tamarind paste
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 tsp. chile-garlic sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/8 tsp. ground white pepper or ground black pepper
- 4 oz. rice noodles
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. grapeseed oil, divided
- 2 oz. extra-firm tofu, drained and diced, optional
- 8 green onions, chopped (1 cup), divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted and salted cashews
- Lime wedges, for garnish
1 | To make Sauce: Combine all ingredients and 1/2 cup water in small bowl. Set aside.
2 | To make Pad Thai: Place rice noodles in large bowl, cover with at least 2 inches very hot water, and let stand 8 minutes to soften. Drain, rinse under cold water, and set aside.
3 | Pulse Brussels sprouts in food processor until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
4 | Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet or wok over high heat until oil shimmers. Add tofu, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate to drain, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5 | Add Brussels sprouts, 1/2 cup green onions, garlic, and ginger to pan, and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes. Push vegetables to side of pan. Add eggs, and scramble until dry, pushing eggs into vegetable mixture once cooked.
6 | Add drained noodles and half of Sauce to pan, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated, tossing with two spatulas. Add half of remaining Sauce, and cook until pan is dry. Stir in remaining Sauce and bean sprouts, and cook 30 seconds more,
or until heated through and only some liquid remains. Transfer to serving bowl, and top with tofu, cilantro, and cashews. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup green onions and lime wedges.
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrate Content: 57 g
- Cholesterol Content: 93 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 553 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g