Using all of the green vegetables listed will produce a luscious and unusual pie.
- 1 12- to 14-inch pizza crust
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen artichoke hearts, or canned and drained
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup (8 to 10 spears) asparagus tips, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 cup fresh spinach, sliced into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 8 oz. shredded low-fat, regular or soy mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saut8E onions for 3 to 4 minutes. Add broccoli, artichokes, zucchini and asparagus. Cover, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally until vegetables begin to soften. Remove from heat, and add spinach. Stir mixture until spinach has just begun to wilt, for approximately 1 minute.
Spoon pesto sauce on crust, spreading it evenly. Top with cooked vegetables, and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheeses melt completely. Remove from oven, and serve.
A medium-bodied Italian red would be a good match for the artichokes, asparagus and pesto in this pizza. Try the Siema Rosso Lodali or the Rosso di Montalcino, both simple, earthy reds.
- Calories: 430
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 700 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g