Add leftover cooked vegetables, an egg, or some beans, and you have a wonderful one-bowl meal. Recipe adapted from Tassajara Dinners & Desserts by Dale and Melissa Kent.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small carrot, diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, crumbled or broken up
- 2 cups leftover vegetables, beans, etc., optional
1. Heat skillet over medium-high heat, and add oil. Sauté onion, carrot, celery, herbes de Provence, and salt 10 to 15 minutes, or until well browned. Add a little more oil if pan seems dry. Add rice, and stir-fry 5 minutes, or until mixture is hot and well combined.
2. Rice is now ready to be served, but if you have some time before your meal, turn heat to low, add a little more oil to pan, and let rice sit undisturbed 7 to 10 minutes, or until browned. If it begins to stick, scrape it up, stir tasty brown bits in, and continue browning with a little more oil. The more time and energy you spend at this stage, the tastier the rice will be. If using leftovers, add them just before serving and continue to heat thoroughly.
- Calories: 189
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 308 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g