Camp Cooking: Sweet Potato Vegan Burrito Bowl
Elevate your campsite or cabin dinner with these fun and nutritious bowls
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This vegan burrito bowl recipe comes from a collection of camp-out ready meals created by Holly Priestley. Holly knows a bit about eating well with minimal kitchen facilities: She’s been traveling the U.S. living the Van Life since 2018. Learn more about Holly and her journey here.
I love camping. I hate most ‘camping food.’ I’m sharing a few of my go-to recipes that show how a few ingredients can be made into a variety of different entrees over the course of an outdoor weekend with slightly different ratios and seasonings.
The key to this dish is cooking the veggies in the right order. Sweet potatoes take longer to cook than anything else in the recipe while beans and corn just need to be warmed up. Throwing all the ingredients in at the same time will lead to veggies that are not cooked evenly and unpleasant to eat. Also, keep in mind that the smaller you dice the potato, the faster it’ll cook.
To enjoy this meal at your campsite or cabin, you’ll need to pack the following equipment (don’t worry, it’s a short list):
Cast iron skillet
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Artichoke Kale Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Italian Pasta with Veggies
Green Pasta Primavera
Sweet Potato Vegan Burrito Bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet potato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 Anaheim pepper, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can of beans (black, kidney, pinto or other variety), rinsed
- 1 8 ounce can of corn
- 1 teaspoon chili-lime seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Tortillas to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in the aforementioned well-loved cast iron skillet on medium.
- Add the sweet potato, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, Anaheim pepper, and cherry tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season, stir, and serve up in bowls or as a burrito with the tortillas.