Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This vegan chickpea stir-fry recipe comes from a collection of camp-out ready meals created by Holly Priestley. Holly knows a bit about eating well with minimal kitchen facilities: She’s been traveling the U.S. living the Van Life since 2018. Learn more about Holly and her journey here.
I love camping. I hate most ‘camping food.’ I’m sharing a few of my go-to recipes that show how a few ingredients can be made into a variety of different entrees over the course of an outdoor weekend with slightly different ratios and seasonings.
To enjoy this meal at your campsite or cabin, you’ll need to pack the following equipment (don’t worry, it’s a short list):
Cast iron skillet
Vegan Chickpea Stir-Fry
- Cook noodles in the medium saucepan according to package directions and set aside in cool water so they don’t stick together.
- Heat the olive oil in the well-loved cast iron skillet on medium.
- Add the sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper and broccoli and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cashews, stir, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, mix in soy sauce, ginger, and garlic and cool.
- Serve noodles in bowls and spoon servings of the veggies over the top.
Cook’s Note: Add chopped peanuts, cashews, or fresh cilantro or lime as desired.