Tanya Petrovna’s Perfect Vegan Gingerbread
Chef Tanya's moist vegan gingerbread cake is perfect just as it is, but we wouldn't stop you from adding a citrusy vegan cream cheese frosting
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Native Foods founder and Chef Tanya’s Kitchen chef-owner Tanya Petrovna, shared this vegan gingerbread cake recipe with us.
It’s yummy and moist out of the pan, or Petrovna suggests serving it with a dollop of vegan cream cheese frosting livened up with a bit of citrus. Try Petrovna’s Dream Cheese Frosting in The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook.
Find more holiday recipes and ideas from Vegetarian Times
Chef Tanya’s Vegan Gingerbread Cake
- 21/2 cups unbleached flour, plus more for dusting pan
- 11/2 tsp. baking soda
- 11/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenized vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil, and dust with flour. Sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and cloves in large bowl.
2. Beat shortening with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually incorporate brown sugar and lemon zest, and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture, and beat until smooth.
3. Combine molasses and vinegar in bowl or 4-cup heatproof measuring cup. Stir 1 cup boiling water into molasses mixture. Gradually stir molasses mixture into batter.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until gingerbread begins to pull away from sides of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Calories 222
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 201 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g