Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
It’s yummy and moist out of the pan, or Petrovna suggests serving it with a dollop of vegan cream cheese frosting livened up with a bit of citrus. Try Petrovna’s Dream Cheese Frosting in The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook.
Chef Tanya’s Vegan Gingerbread Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil, and dust with flour. Sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and cloves in large bowl.
2. Beat shortening with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually incorporate brown sugar and lemon zest, and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture, and beat until smooth.
3. Combine molasses and vinegar in bowl or 4-cup heatproof measuring cup. Stir 1 cup boiling water into molasses mixture. Gradually stir molasses mixture into batter.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until gingerbread begins to pull away from sides of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Calories 222
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 201 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g