Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Serve with a large platter of tropical fruits (such as sliced mango, pineapple, and papaya).
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Stir cornstarch into 3/4 cup cold water in bowl until dissolved. Set aside.
3. Bring coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt to a boil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Add cornstarch mixture, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. (Mixture has a tendency to bubble up.) Transfer to prepared baking dish, and chill 1 hour, or until cool enough to slice.
4. Meanwhile, spread coconut flakes on small baking sheet, and toast 3 minutes, or until just golden. Transfer to bowl. Toast macadamia nuts (if desired) on same baking sheet 5 minutes, or until just golden. Add to bowl with coconut flakes. Sprinkle this mixture on top of haupia while cooling.
5. Slice cooled haupia into 16 small squares. Serve on pieces of ti leaves.
- Calories 149
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 37 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g