Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This recipe features black rice – a good source of fiber and antioxidants – and more veggies than you might find in many fried rice recipes. Cooking can dampen the health benefits of probiotics, so the kimchi part of this kimchi fried rice comes in at the end, after cooking and just before serving. Black rice is also known as “forbidden rice” — a name you’ll see on some packages. We suggest adding a 2-inch piece of dried kombu to the cooking water to help with digestion, but that’s not essential. If you’re not making your own kimchi, take a second to confirm you’re buying one that’s plant-based.
Fun Fact: Ninety-five percent of your body’s serotonin, a neurotransmitter that plays a key role in your brain-gut communication, is housed in your gut. Not only does serotonin play a role in mood regulation, but it also helps in the regulation of bowel movements, which explains why you may experience gastrointestinal distress when you are stressed.
‘Forbidden’ Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice with Mushrooms and Snow Peas
1. In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tbsp avocado oil on medium-high. Add mushrooms; season with ¼ tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to turn golden, about 8 minutes. Add remaining 2 tbsp avocado oil, green onions and snow peas; season with remaining 1/8 tsp each salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and ½ cup kimchi; cook, stirring often, until ginger and garlic are softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in rice, ¼ cup water, tamari and honey and cook, stirring, until well combined and heated through, about 1 minute. Season with remaining 1/8 tsp pepper. Drizzle with sesame oil. Divide among bowls. Top with reserved ¼ cup kimchi.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 352
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 654 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g