Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
As the first person out of bed in her house on Saturday mornings, Mary Shore savors the time to ease into the weekend. “We try to keep cooking simple so the relaxed mood lasts through the morning,” she says. These winning pancakes came out of her desire to develop a vegan version of her favorite restaurant pancakes: “My mom taught me to substitute a little vinegar in milk when there was no buttermilk in the house, and the cider vinegar in soymilk here has the same effect of lending a little zing.”
1. Combine soymilk, vinegar, maple syrup, and oil in small bowl. Add oats, and let soak 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in separate bowl. Stir soymilk mixture into flour mixture.
3. Preheat large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat (400°F), and lightly coat with oil. Ladle 1/4 cup batter into pan for each pancake. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until bubbles form on top and sides are a little dry. Flip, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until browned on both sides. Drizzle with maple syrup, if using.
- Calories 196
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 280 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g