Get Everyone Together for Gluten-Free Vegan Penne alla Vodka
There’s no need to order takeout from your neighborhood trattoria when this easy pasta gets dinner on the table in no time
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We put an inclusive spin on an Italian classic. This vegan Penne alla Vodka gets its signature creaminess from our old pal the cashew. We used gluten-free pasta from Ancient Harvest here; you could certainly use traditional pasta if you prefer.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Oyster Mushroom and Kabocha Squash Pasta
Artichoke Kale Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Pasta with Blue Cheese, Arugula, Figs, and Walnuts
Gluten-Free Vegan Penne alla Vodka
- 12 ounces Ancient Harvest Gluten Free Pasta
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- ¼ cup vodka
- One 14 ounce can crushed or chopped or diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup veggie broth or plant milk, as needed
- ¾ cup chopped white or yellow onion
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (more to deepen the flavor)
- Optional: ¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Mince the garlic, chop the onion, and add to a sauté pan with 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Sauté until lightly golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes over medium/low heat.
- Reduce heat to low, pour in the vodka and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add in the drained and rinsed cashews, the rest of the olive oil, and all remaining ingredients except for the basil.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the sauce back into the sauté pan. If using the parmesan cheese, stir it in and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Combine with the cooked pasta and stir until well incorporated.
- Top with fresh basil and enjoy.