Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
A base of earthy-sweet pumpkin, plus miso and rosemary, add volumes of flavor to a silky soup that’s perfect for a chilly evening. You can skip the roasting step by using canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie mix) if you prefer. Unlike many bisques, this pumpkin bisque gets its creamy quality entirely from vegetables, not dairy.
Vegan Roasted Pumpkin Bisque with Miso and Rosemary
- To roast pumpkin: Preheat oven to 375F. Halve pumpkin, remove seeds, and brush cut sides lightly with olive oil. Arrange flesh-side down on parchment-lined baking sheet, and roast 40–45 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle, then scoop out flesh. Measure out 2 packed cups roasted pumpkin, and set aside. Refrigerate or freeze remaining pumpkin for later use.
- In large, heavy pot, combine potatoes, cauliflower, onion, garlic, rosemary sprigs, and 5 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partly covered, 10–12 minutes, until potatoes and cauliflower are soft. Remove rosemary sprigs and discard. Stir in pumpkin and mix well.
- Purée soup in batches in food processor, adding broth if needed to reach desired consistency. Return to pot and heat through.
- Transfer ½ cup hot soup to small bowl. Add miso, and stir until smooth. Pour miso mixture back into pot and stir until well blended (don’t heat miso). Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- To serve, divide soup among individual bowls. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 790 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g