Panna cotta is traditionally made in ramekins and unmolded before serving, but you can also use small bowls, cups or decorative glasses and serve right in the container. We used almond milk for a neutral flavor and light, smooth texture, but you can use coconut or soy milk for a creamier texture and more robust flavor. For variations, swap the lime for lemon and use blueberries or blackberries, or use coconut milk and top with pureed mango and shredded coconut.
- 2 limes
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unrefined cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons agar flakes
- 2 cups thawed frozen raspberries
- Additional lime zest for garnish (optional)
- Fresh raspberries for garnish (optional)
1. Lightly brush or spray 4 to 6 small ramekins with vegetable oil. Zest and juice limes.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together lime juice, almond milk, 1/4 cup of the sugar and agar. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes longer, stirring almost constantly with a rubber spatula. Stir in lime zest.
3. Carefully pour mixture into ramekins. Let cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours or overnight, until very firm.
4. To make raspberry sauce: combine raspberries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan, mashing berries lightly with the back of a fork to break them up slightly. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 6 minutes, until mixture is thickened; add a tablespoon of water if needed during cooking. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
5. To serve, remove panna cotta from refrigerator. Carefully run the back edge of a butter knife around the inside edge of one ramekin. Cover with a small serving dish and flip over. Shake firmly several times, tapping bottom of ramekin, until panna cotta releases from onto plate. Repeat with remaining ramekins.
6. To serve, top each panna cotta with a raspberry sauce. Sprinkle with additional lime zest and garnish with raspberries, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 panna cotta