Dominique Nabholz took her inspiration for this veggie-packed dish from her “fantastic mother-in-law Marge,” who made a version of this comforting meal for Dominique and her husband during a holiday visit.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 12-oz. pkg. soy crumbles
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 0.65-oz. pkg. vegan brown gravy mix
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2/3 cup soymilk or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Preheat oven to 350F. Place potatoes in large pot and cover with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add soy crumbles and mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes more, or until mushrooms are soft.
Sprinkle gravy mix into skillet. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a simmer. Add carrots and peas, and cook 10 minutes, or until tender.
Drain potatoes, and mash with soymilk, broth and margarine. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Spread soy crumble mixture evenly in large baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until lower layer bubbles around edges of mashed potatoes.
- Calories: 352
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 624 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g