Great picnic fare, this portable sandwich stuffed with veggies, soy meat and soy cheese slices makes a delectable lunch or dinner. Many supermarkets now offer already prepared hummus in various flavors, so look for your favorite. Serve these with a chilled soup, such as Andalusian Gazpacho (p. 21). Pass fruit turnovers or a bowl of fresh pears and apples for dessert.
- 2 mini baguettes, about 5 oz. each
- 2 Tbs. soy mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. Dijon-style mustard
- 2 Tbs. hummus
- 2 Tbs. relish
- 8 spinach leaves, or as needed
- 6 vegetarian "turkey" slices
- 6 vegetarian "pastrami" slices
- 4 vegetarian Provolone-flavored cheese slices
- 4 thin slices red onion, cut in half
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced and cut in half
Slice each baguette in half lengthwise, but do not cut entirely through bread. Place first baguette on foil or dinner plate.
Spread one half with mayonnaise and mustard. Spread other half with hummus and relish. Starting with spinach leaves, layer ingredients in baguette, folding “turkey,” “pastrami,” and cheese slices in half. Tuck each folded slice side by side in layers. Finish with onion and tomato slices.
Wrap hero in foil if using as picnic food, or serve immediately.
- Calories: 460
- Carbohydrate Content: 65 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 1390 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g