Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
From Vegan Mac & Cheese by Robin Robertson. Copyright © 2019 by Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc.
Related: Roasted Butternut Mac Uncheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain well and return to the pot. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Coat a 9 × 13-inch (23 × 33 cm) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews and hot water and blend until smooth. Add the tofu, sherry, and nutritional yeast and season with salt. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
5. Add the garlic, then stir in the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms to the pasta, stir in the peas, and set aside.
6. Return the saucepan to low heat and add the butter to melt. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, and then whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute more. Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth and milk. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
7. Slowly whisk the cashew-tofu mixture into the sauce, whisking until there are no clumps. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed. Cook the sauce 2 minutes more to thicken a bit. Add the sauce to the pasta and vegetables, stirring to combine. Place the pot over low heat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
8. Sprinkle the top with the almonds. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot garnished with parsley.