This Vegan Zucchini Lasagna with Cashew Cheese Filling Is Chef’s Kiss-Worthy
Healthy, vegan, and delicious? Mwah!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
In this vegan zucchini lasagna we are swapping zucchini for pasta and cashew-based filling for the ricotta. Is that traditional? Perhaps not. But this dish is still super comforting and cozy while also being a lot healthier than your usual pan of lasagna – and we would proudly serve it to the most discerning Italian food connoisseur. (Massimo Bottura, call us.)
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Quick Ratatouille Lasagna
Squash Pasta Salad with Vegan Two-Herb Pesto
Artichoke Kale Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Vegan Zucchini Lasagna with Cashew Cheese
From Clean Eating
- 1½ cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 12 large fresh basil leaves + additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated vegan Parmesan-style cheese or nutritional yeast, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 zucchini, trimmed
- Pinch sea salt
- 1½ cups all-natural marinara sauce
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare cashew cheese pesto: Soak cashews in a bowl of water overnight or at least 4 hours; drain and transfer to a food processor. Add lemon zest and juice, basil leaves, 2 tbsp Parmesan and garlic; pulse a few times to break down nuts then process, adding 1 to 2 tbsp water, until mixture reaches the consistency of ricotta cheese.
2. Using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler or mandoline, thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into ½-inch-thick planks. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes; blot zucchini to remove salt and moisture on the surface.
3. Spread ¼ cup marinara on bottom of an 8-inch square ceramic or glass baking dish; top with 2 layers of zucchini, one layer running top to bottom and the second layer running right to left. Spread half of roasted bell pepper over zucchini, followed by half of cashew cheese pesto. Spoon ½ cup marinara over cashew cheese pesto. Repeat 2 layers of zucchini, remaining half of bell peppers and cashew cheese pesto and ½ cup marinara. Top with 2 layers of zucchini, followed by remaining marinara. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Uncover dish and set oven to broil. Broil for 3 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle additional basil over slices before serving.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 365
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 10.5 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3.5 g