Here's a different take on the traditional vegetable stir-fry. It includes ginger, garlic and scallionsbasic ingredients in Chinese recipes. But this dish gets its spark from an orange-flavored miso sauce and arame, a delicate sea vegetable. Kudzu, a white, starchy powder used for thickening, is sold at Asian markets and natural food stores. Before you measure it, crush the lumps with the back of a spoon. This is great served over rice.
- 1 cup arame (1 oz.)
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 7 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 5 oz. snow peas, cut on diagonal into 2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 4 cups cut Napa (Chinese) cabbage (2-inch pieces)
- 4 cups cut bok choy (2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. chickpea miso (or other variety)
- 1 1/2 tsp. kudzu dissolved in 1 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce or tamari
- 3 Tbs. raw sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
In large bowl, combine arame and 3 cups cold water. Let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain; set aside.
Meanwhile, in wok, bring 2 1/2 quarts lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli and cook just until dark green, about 30 seconds. Drain well; set aside. Dry wok.
Return wok to high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add mushrooms and 1 teaspoon salt and stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl and set aside.
Return wok to high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add carrot and snow peas and stir-fry 1 minute. Add cabbage, bok choy and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and stir-fry 1 minute. Gradually drizzle broth around outer perimeter of vegetables (not in center). Cover and cook 1 minute. Transfer to large bowl; set aside. Rinse and dry wok.
Set wok over medium heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic, scallions and ginger and stir-fry 1 minute. Add orange juice, any liquid that has exuded from vegetable mixture in step 4 and miso. Stir vigorously with wire whisk to break up miso.
As liquid comes to a boil, add kudzu mixture and whisk vigorously until well combined, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and add soy sauce, reserved mushrooms, broccoli, vegetables and arame. Stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes. Toss in sesame seeds and sesame oil and serve.
- Calories: 207
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 656 mg