To save time, substitute frozen vegetarian dumplings, which can be found in well-stocked supermarkets or Asian grocery stores.
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 lb. asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 4 tsp. toasted sesame oil, divided
- 28 prepared won ton wrappers
- 4 bunches baby bok choy, pulled apart into leaves
- 11/2 lb. broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. Chile-Garlic Paste, such as Huy Fong
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
1. Pulse ginger and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Transfer half of mixture to bowl. Add asparagus, edamame, water chestnuts, 1½ tsp. soy sauce, and 2 tsp. sesame oil to food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
2. Brush edge of each won ton wrapper with water. Place 2 tsp. asparagus mixture in center of wrapper, then fold over filling to make a triangle-shaped dumpling. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
3. Line 10-inch steamer basket with bok choy leaves. Place dumplings over bok choy, and cover. Set basket over large skillet filled with 2 inches boiling water, and steam 8 to 10 minutes, or until dumplings are translucent. Transfer dumplings and bok choy to serving plate, and keep warm. Repeat with remaining bok choy leaves and dumplings. For final round of dumplings, place broccoli florets in second steamer basket, and set over boiling water. Place dumpling basket on top, and steam 8 to 10 minutes. Remove dumpling basket, cover broccoli, and steam 2 to 4 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together ¼ cup soy sauce, rice vinegar, chile-garlic paste, and 2 Tbs. water.
5. Use skillet to heat remaining 2 tsp. sesame oil over low heat. Add green onions and remaining ginger-garlic mixture, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in broccoli, and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and stir in sesame seeds, remaining 1½ Tbs. soy sauce, and 2 tsp. water. Serve dumplings with broccoli and sauce.
- Calories: 328
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 926 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g