This fried rice is both colorful and delicious. Steaming the rice helps it keep its shape and allows it to absorb the flavors of the vegetables and sauce. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil (optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice, preferably jasmine or basmati
- 1 Tbs. peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
Meal plan: Steamed broccoli is an ideal accompanimentprepare it while the rice is cooking. Round out the meal with a few slices of baked marinated tofu.
Make sauce: In small bowl, mix together soy sauce, sesame oil if desired and cornstarch. Mix in broth, sugar and salt. Set aside.
In small heavy saucepan, combine rice and cold water to cover. Rub grains with your fingers to separate, then drain well. Repeat twice until water drains clear.
Return rice to saucepan with 1 1/2 cups fresh cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer until tender, about 16 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff rice with fork and set aside.
In nonstick wok or large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until it ripples in pan. Add eggs and scramble until cooked through, about 30 seconds. Transfer eggs to cutting board and chop. Set aside.
In same wok over medium-high heat, add garlic and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add spinach and stir-fry 1 minute. Add cooked rice and eggs, then stir sauce and add to wok. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in scallions and serve hot.
- Calories: 271
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 71 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 373 mg