Vegetable Frittata with Roasted Tomato Salsa
Serve this dish with a salad of baby greens dressed in a raspberry vinaigrette. Be sure to shred the soy cheese by hand—fat-free soy cheese is too rubbery for the food processor and can crack the work bowl. Washing the mushrooms after they’re sliced adds moisture needed during the sauteing…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Serve this dish with a salad of baby greens dressed in a raspberry vinaigrette. Be sure to shred the soy cheese by hand—fat-free soy cheese is too rubbery for the food processor and can crack the work bowl. Washing the mushrooms after they’re sliced adds moisture needed during the sauteing process for fat-free cooking.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced thin (2 cups)
- 1 large red pepper, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2 lbs. firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup egg whites (about 10 to 12 large) or nonfat egg substitute
- 1/2 tsp. salt or 1/4 cup umeboshi plum vinegar (see glossary, p. 79)
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh basil or 1 Tbs. dried
- 4 medium zucchini, shredded (4 cups)
- 12 oz. soy cheese or cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
Roasted tomato salsa
- 4 ripe large tomatoes, cored
- 1 large onion
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 350˚F. In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
In food processor, process tofu until smooth. Add egg whites, vinegar and basil and process until blended.
In large bowl, combine mushroom mixture, tofu mixture, zucchini and soy cheese and mix with rubber spatula.
Lightly coat inside of 9-inch deep-dish quiche pan with cooking spray. Spread mixture in prepared pan.
Bake until frittata is firm and top is lightly golden, about 1 1⁄2 hours.
Meanwhile, make salsa: Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange tomatoes, onion and shallots on prepared sheet. Place in oven with frittata. Bake until tomato skins brown and blister, about 45 minutes.
In food processor or blender, process roasted vegetables and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt until smooth.
Pour sauce into medium saucepan. Heat over low heat until simmering. Pour into serving bowl and sprinkle with chives. Serve hot with frittata.
- Calories 244
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 610 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g