In the Caribbean, green, semi-ripe mangoes add an incomparable depth of flavor to many dishes. Here, they are combined with bell peppers, mushrooms and tofu for a flavorful stir-fry that is served over noodles.
- 8 oz. lo mein noodles or rice noodles
- 2 tsp. peanut oil
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 12 broccoli florets
- 1 large semi-ripe mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 4 oz. firm tofu, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or canned broth
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 to 2 Tbs. peanut butter
1. In large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to boil. When water boils, add noodles stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic, and stir-fry until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli, mango, and tofu, and stir-fry 4 minutes. Stir in vegetable stock, pineapple juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and bring to simmer. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until sauce has thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and blend in peanut butter.
3. Transfer noodles to serving plates, and spoon mango and vegetable mixture over top. Serve right away.
- Calories: 249
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 70 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 216 mg