Vegetable Pho with Mushroom Broth
Our veg version of this classic Vietnamese soup is bursting with healthy veggies swimming in a rich, umami mushroom broth.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Broth & noodles
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly chopped
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder (TRY: Simply Organic Five Spice Powder)
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari (TRY: San J Reduced-Sodium Tamari)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 pods star anise (TRY: Frontier Natural Products Whole Star Anise)
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick (TRY: Simply Organic Cinnamon Sticks)
- 6 baby bok choy, sliced (4 cups)
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 7 oz. brown rice vermicelli, cooked according to package
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup chopped Thai basil leaves (or regular basil)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 red Thai chili peppers
- 1 lime, quartered
- hoisin or sriracha sauce, as needed
- Prepare broth: In a stockpot on medium-high, heat oil. Add yellow onion and sweat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and five-spice, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, tamari, hoisin, star anise and cinnamon; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour, 15 minutes, skimming off foam as it simmers.
- Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined mesh sieve and return to stockpot. Add bok choy and mushrooms and return to a boil.
- Into 4 bowls, divide noodles. Divide hot broth with mushrooms and bok choy over the noodles.
- Garnish with bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, green onions and chile. Serve with lime wedges and hoisin on the side (if using).
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 293
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 921 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g