Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The only nontraditional thing about this Indian dish is the frozen vegetables. To make it vegan, substitute light coconut milk for the evaporated milk or heavy cream.
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Purée tomatoes, onion, and ginger to paste in food processor or blender.
3. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add garam masala and cardamom, and cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add tomato purée and raisins. Simmer 2 minutes, or until sauce thickens slightly.
4. Stir in frozen vegetables; chickpeas, if using; and evaporated milk. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 6 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with almonds, if using.
- Calories 415
- Carbohydrate Content 82 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 69 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g