Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Here, farro is paired with firm vegetables that stand up to low heat and long cooking times. If you have a slow cooker with a sauté or sear function, you can briefly brown the vegetables first for richer flavor, then set them aside to be added to the dish in step 2.
1. Stir together farro and broth in slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high 1 hour.
2. Combine Brussels sprouts, carrots, fennel, rosemary, and salt in large bowl, then place vegetables on top of farro. Cover with lid, adjust slow cooker setting to low, and cook 2 to 3 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Let slow cooker stand, uncovered, 10 minutes. Fluff farro mixture with fork, and transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with orange pieces, green onions, and fennel fronds, and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Calories 164
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0.5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 375 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g