Cassoulet is a hearty French dish that is, except for the beans, a vegetarians nightmare with its layers of duck, goose, veal, smoked sausage and loads of saturated fat. I wanted to create a recipe that would highlight many of the great smoked soy products on the market; preparing this…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Cassoulet is a hearty French dish that is, except for the beans, a vegetarians nightmare with its layers of duck, goose, veal, smoked sausage and loads of saturated fat. I wanted to create a recipe that would highlight many of the great smoked soy products on the market; preparing this healthy cassoulet was the logical choice.
- 1 1/2 cups smoked tofu, diced (6 oz.)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme (1 tsp. dried)
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/3 cups smoked tempeh, diced (6 oz.)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 small carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (3 oz.)
- 1 pinch plus 1 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 15-oz. can navy beans
- 1 1/2 cups seitan, diced (8 oz.)
Preheat oven to 400°F. In small saucepan, bring broth or water to a simmer, cover and keep warm.
In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, pinch of pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
Stir in beans (with their liquid) and hot broth. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add seitan, tempeh, tofu and thyme. Mix gently. Bring mixture to a slow simmer and cook 1 minute.
Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs, lightly coat top with olive oil cooking spray and transfer to oven. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes until top is browned. Remove cassoulet from oven and let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 324
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 589 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g