This recipe relies on fresh garlic and fresh ginger as well as Chinese hoisin sauce to flavor the vegetable mixture. If you use a food processor to mince the ingredients, avoid over processing it or the mixture will turn to mush. You may fry the dumplings in a large skillet instead of boiling them. Allow about 4 dumplings per serving.
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 oz. firm tofu
- 7 dried black Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water to rehydrate
- 1/2 lb. spinach, rinsed and trimmed
- 6 large leaves Chinese or American cabbage, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 to 3 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 50 3-inch-round wonton wrappers
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1/2 Tbs. chili sauce
To make Dumplings: Dry carrots, tofu, mushrooms, spinach, cabbage, garlic and cilantro thoroughly, and put into food processor, and chop very finely. Put vegetable mixture into a large bowl.
Mix together egg, ginger, soy sauce, cornstarch, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and salt. Stir egg mixture into bowl with vegetable mixture. Drain any excess liquid from mixture.
Place dumpling wrappers, one at a time, on flat work surface. Place a spoonful of mixture on center, brush water around edges of wrapper and crimp shut to seal. Repeat process until all ingredients are used up.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add dumplings, 12 at a time to water, and cook for about 4 minutes, or until dumplings float to surface. Use a slotted skimmer to remove from water, and set aside in a bowl. Keep from touching while still hot or dumplings may stick.
To make Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients, mixing well, and set aside.
To serve, arrange Dumplings on a platter, and pass with Dipping Sauce.
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 770 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g