The vibrant flavor of a good curry powder works its magic in this colorful dish, which is chock full of chickpeas and fresh vegetables. Serve over freshly cooked basmati rice, if desired.
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 15.5-oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add curry powder, garlic, ginger and turmeric, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, or until fragrant. Add onion, bell pepper and sweet potato.
Cover and cook about 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Reduce heat to low. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in spinach, and cook over low heat 3 to 5 minutes to wilt spinach and blend flavors.
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrate Content: 72 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 15 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 900 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g