Spicy, tender apple varieties such as Winesap, Rome, Empire, and Gala are best for this quick-cooking treat.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 large apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place raisins in small bowl, and cover with boiling water. Soak 5 minutes to plump, then drain.
2. Toss together raisins, apples, flour, lemon juice, and brown sugar in bowl, and set aside.
3. Stir together granulated sugar and cinnamon. Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Top with second phyllo sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and sugar.
4. Spoon apple mixture into center of phyllo sheets, leaving 2-inch border on all sides. Tuck end borders over apple mixture, then loosely roll into a log. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Bake 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Slice on diagonal into 8 portions, and serve.
- Calories: 132
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 71 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g