Cottage cheese stands in for the thick, fresh cheese used in Austria to make a piquant horseradish spread that’s usually served with chilled white wine. We’ve paired it with endive leaves, walnuts, and cranberries for a festive look and taste.
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 2 cups full-fat cottage cheese
- 3-4 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 4 red or green Belgian endives, leaves pulled apart
- 1 cup dried cranberries, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet, and toast 7 to 9 minutes in oven, or until golden brown and fragrant. Cool. Set aside 1/2 cup walnut pieces for garnish.
2. Process walnuts in food processor until finely ground. Add cottage cheese and horseradish, and pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Spoon 1 Tbs. cheese mixture onto wide end of each endive petal. Garnish with reserved walnut pieces and dried cranberries.
- Calories: 67
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 63 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g