Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Most people think of barley in soups, but the chewy grain adds nutty flavor to meal-style salads such as this one.
1. Bring barley and 11/2 cups water to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook according to package directions, or until tender. Remove from heat, and steam, covered, 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Coat large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Add green onions, and cook 1 minute. Stir in corn, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until skins are no longer taut. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to bowl with barley, and mix gently.
3. Heat same skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Add tofu, and cook 1 minute per side, or until heated through. Cut each piece into 2 strips. Divide barley mixture among 4 plates, and top each with 2 strips tofu.
- Calories 260
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 373 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g