This updated vichyssoise is served piping hot to bring out the best flavors.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 5-oz. russet potato, peeled and cut into 3/8- to 1/2-inch dice (scant 1 cup)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped (1 cup), plus 2 Tbs. chopped fennel fronds
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 tsp. whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12 oz. medium Brussels sprouts, cut into eighths
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add potato, chopped fennel bulb, shallots, and fennel seeds; sauté 3 minutes. Add salt and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts are tender, but still bright green.
2. Purée soup in blender in 1-cup batches until very smooth, transferring purée to saucepan after each batch. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and warm gently on stove. Sprinkle each serving with fennel fronds.
- Calories: 144
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 329 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g