This salad can be made ahead of time and warmed in the microwave. Be careful not to use too much Liquid Smoke to flavor the tempeh.
Tempeh Bacon Crumbles
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 8-oz. pkg. plain tempeh, grated or finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp. ketchup or tomato paste
- 2 drops Liquid Smoke
- 3 lb. small red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped green onions, fresh parsley, or chives, for sprinkling
1. To make Tempeh Bacon Crumbles: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in soy sauce, molasses, and ketchup, and bring to a boil. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture is dry. Stir in Liquid Smoke 1 drop at a time. Transfer tempeh to paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
2. To make Salad: Place potatoes in large pot of salted water; bring to a boil. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium-heat, add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat, and whisk in vinegar and 1/3 cup water.
4. Drain potatoes, and transfer to large serving bowl. Stir onion mixture into potatoes. Sprinkle with Tempeh Bacon Crumbles and green onions. Serve warm.
- Calories: 203
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 127 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g