The distinctive heat of wasabi plays off the mildness of mashed potatoes.
- 1 1/2 lb. russet or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk or rice milk
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 2–3 tsp. wasabi paste
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, optional
1. Place potatoes in large saucepan, cover with cold water, then drain to rinse away some starch. Cover with fresh cold water, bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and beginning to fall apart.
2. Warm milk, butter, and wasabi paste in small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Whisk to combine.
3. Drain potatoes, and return to saucepan. Beat on low speed with electric mixer to break up. With electric mixer running, beat in milk mixture until potatoes are smooth and light. Season with salt, if desired. Serve garnished with green onions (if using).
- Calories: 131
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 11 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 95 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g