Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
- Blend eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in blender until combined. Add 2 cups watercress tops, 1/2 cup broth, and 4 Tbs. basil. Blend until watercress is puréed (tiny bits may remain). Pour mixture into large bowl. Add flour, and whisk until smooth, thick batter forms. Cover, and let rest 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Working in several batches, smear or press 1/4 cup batter into boiling water through large mesh strainer using flexible rubber spatula, rapping strainer on sides of pot occasionally. Boil dumplings
11/2 to 2 minutes, or until tender. Scoop out dumpling with strainer or sieve. Drain, and transfer to baking sheet to dry.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and sauté 3 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add spaetzle and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Toss 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture is heated through and broth is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup watercress leaves and 2 Tbs. basil.
- Calories 242
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 135 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 701 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g