In the Levantine region, there are two types of eggplant dip: Mutabbal, which contains tahini and fewer chopped vegetables, and baba ghanoush, which, in some traditional recipes, does not contain tahini but is made with pomegranate molasses and chopped vegetables. As this dish traveled the world, those two names have been confused.
This version is a traditional baba ghanoush with a twist: We added a roasted bell pepper for a gorgeous smoky flavor. When in season, add fresh pomegranate arils as a garnish.
From Clean Eating
- Heat a greased grill to medium-high.
- Add eggplants and red bell pepper to grill whole (do not poke); grill on four sides, 5 to 8 minutes on each side, until soft and blackened. Transfer bell pepper to a plate. Test bottom of eggplants with tongs; if not yet soft, cook on bottom sides for another 3 to 5 minutes, until very soft. Transfer to a baking dish or a rimmed plate (to preserve any juices). Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel eggplants with your hands. As you are working, squeeze one-half of lemon juice over the eggplant flesh to prevent it from browning.
- Smash eggplant with a fork, or using a hand blender, pulse it slightly. Transfer to a bowl and add garlic, remaining one-half of lemon juice, salt, and all the eggplant juices from the plate (see Chef’s Tip).
- Peel and dice roasted red pepper. Mix roasted red pepper, fresh orange bell pepper and green onions into eggplant mixture, leaving a few pieces to scatter over top.
- 6. Add dip to a serving platter, top with parsley and scatter any reserved peppers and green onions; drizzle oil and pomegranate molasses over top. Serve with vegetables and pita.
Don’t let the eggplant juices go to waste as they contain a lot of flavor. We suggest using a rimmed plate or baking dish when peeling to preserve them. Add the lemon juice immediately after peeling so it doesn’t discolor.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 86
- Carbohydrate Content 15.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 967 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g